Here are the procedure/steps that I used to fix the “famous” Seagate 7200.11 BSY problem, I had a few errors while executing the procedure, and manage to successfully recover the Seagate HDD – Hope the problem and workaround that I use can help other who might faced the same error.

A little introduction of this problem can be found widely on the internet – Google for “Seagate 7200.11 BSY”. There are two types of problem, one is the 0 LBA error where the BIOS still recognize the HDD but with 0MB drive, while the other one is the BSY error, where the HDD stuck in BUSY state (hence BSY) – In this state, the BIOS will not recognize the HDD anymore.

In our case, we have one Seagate ST3500620AS 500GB hit by the BSY error, to make things worst it’s an OEM drive installed in the HP IQ508D TouchSmart PC – so no direct support from Seagate and HP will just replace the HDD with a new one. Unfortunately we need the data from the Seagate HDD, so I started searching the internet for the solution (and yes we have to buy the “faulty” HDD from HP in order to keep and recover the data).

DISCLAIMER: I’m not an expert, I follow guides that I mentioned in this page, and I manage to recover my Seagate 500GB HDD but this does not guarantee it will work for you.

The first guide you will found from google will be the MSFN Forum (Microsoft Software Forum Network) by a member “Gradius2” (http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate-7200-11-hdds-t128807.html) an excellent guide to fix the seagate 7200.11 BSY error.

First I tried using the USB-to-Serial solution but have no luck, I cannot pass the loopback test, maybe something is not right with my settings. So I try another cable suggested from the MSFN forum – The Nokia DKU-5 USB Connectivity Adapter Cable, some suggest the Nokia CA-42 Cable but I couldn’t seems to find it here. So I bought a “third party” DKU-5 cable for RM20 (around USD5.9 / EUR4.1).

The DKU-5 cable

DKU-5 back cover

Firstly we have to get the right wires for the connection, meaning we have to cut-open the cable.

DKU-5 wires

From a OpenWrt Forum (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=9201), although the color are different, but I think the pin number are the same, so I pick the cable for pin 6 (blue) for RX, 7 (white) for TX and 8 (black) for GND – as you can see from the picture above.

Then we attached the connector for the three wires for easy connection to the Seagate, get the square type.

The wires square connector

The final output will be something like this:

DKU-5 modified with square connector

DKU-5 modified

Then I use the SATA power from one of my external drive SATA power to supply power to the Seagate HDD.

SATA power

Finally connect everything as in the MSFN Forum guide.

final connection

Feeling lucky, I didn’t do a loopback test, instead I connect it straight to the Seagate, but without removing the seagate PCB board – just to see if I can get some response. and I got this output from the HyperTerminal – showing that the Seagate is indeed in BuSY state:

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024900D

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024900D

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024900D

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024900D

then I switched off everything, and started to remove the Seagate PCB board and insert a piece of paper to cover the HDD Head Contact – if you’re not sure how to do this, you can refer to this another excellent guide (http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/Home). It will look like this once done:

HDD with Head Contact covered

Switched on everything again, then make the HyperTerminal connection. I do a Ctrl-Z and got the prompt, then enter the “/2” to go to the Level 2, enter “Z” to send a “spin down the motor” command – This is where I got another message…

F3 T>/2    (hit Enter)

F3 2>Z     (hit Enter)

LED:000000CE FAddr:0027CF31

LED:000000CE FAddr:0027CF31

LED:000000CE FAddr:0027CF31

The message appears every few seconds, and no hope of getting the prompt back. Switched off and on back and re-run the “/2” and “Z” will produce the same result. It will appear immediately after the “Z” command.

Again, I “google” for the error message, and found this from the the same MSFN forum post#1669 by NainKaigo (http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate-7200-11-hdds-t128807-page-1661.html):

I ran into this same issue. What caused it for me is when the drive was spinning down on my first attempt I lost the terminal connection. Every attempt after that caused the drive to generate the LED:000000CE FAddr:0027CF31 error after entering Z. Not sure what the error means. Maybe that the drive is already stopped?

However, I noticed that just by typing in the Z and not pressing enter would spin the drive down. At that point I just backed spaced the Z out and moved on to the next step. I was able to proceed with out any troubles. I did have to run through the complete process; after my first attempt it was still busy. The error isn’t a show stopper, just a pain in the neck. I was able to get access to all of the data on the drive.

So, I re-run again the procedure, enter the “/2” and then this time I just type “Z” WITHOUT pressing the ENTER key, and wait… after awhile since nothing appear for about a few minutes, I hit the ENTER key and this output appear..

F3 T>/2     (hit ENTER key)

F3 2>Z      (DO NOT hit the ENTER key)
(wait for a while... then hit the ENTER key)

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.144 msecs
F3 2>

Phew… it works ! so next I type the “U” and press ENTER key… I got this:

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 27.191 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180
F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 21.882 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

a slight panic, refer back to all the guides and found out it was because I missed one step. It was supposedly after the “Z” (spin down) command, we need to carefully remove the piece of paper that cover the HDD Head Contact and CAREFULLY tighten back all the screw of the HDD PCB board. so I did that CAREFULLY – the power still UP, the connection to the HDD still UP, and then I re-type back the “U” and press the ENTER key.

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 1.927 secs

it works ! afterthat, enter the “/1” (and press ENTER key) to go back to the level 1, then type “N1” (and press the ENTER key) to do a S.M.A.R.T. erase, once you got a prompt back after the command “N1” – switch-off the HDD SATA Power (in my case easier because I use a separate power – so a simple switch off and wait 10 seconds and switch on back), wait for 10 seconds and then Switch-on back the HDD SATA power (the connection to the Seagate is at all time is CONNECTED), then press CTRL-Z to get back the prompt.

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>
(switch-off the SATA power, wait 10 seconds and switch-on back the SATA power, press CTRL-Z)

Finally at the prompt enter “m0,2,2,,,,,22”, only after you receive the message like below then you can switch off everything. If not you might have missed something please refer back to the MSFN guides.

F3 1>    (the prompt before switch-off)

(after the switch-on)
F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format   4% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

In my case, everything went smooth and after the message appeared, I then switched-off everything, connect back the Seagate HDD to the external USB enclosure, connect it to the PC – The HDD is back online again.

I hope some of the problem that I faced while fixing the Seagate HDD will help others.

Below are the related links that I refer and might help to fix the Seagate 7200.11 problem:

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate-7200-11-hdds-t128807-page-1661.html (post #1669)

Thank you guys for sharing all the guides to solve this problem.

Tags: , , ,

68 Responses to “Fixing a Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive using DKU-5 Cable”

1. jinjahman says:

Chrome 5.0.375.125 Windows 7

Hi there,
    I have a drive with the BSY problem. I’m close to attempting recovery. I have everything I need – I think – and I’ve studied your’s and other sites, e.g http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

MY QUESTION: Is the data that was on the drive before the BSY issue occurred accessible ‘after’ the fix has been complete?
    The message that says: ‘User Partition Format Successful’ makes me think my data (pictures, music etc.) will be zapped.Is this the case?
    Thanks,
    jinjahman

2. MR.OMAR says:

Safari MacIntosh

Hi,

firstly, Congratulation !

After I received the”User partition format successful….” and after the reboot… the data on my disk is still inside… no lost of data detected so far.

best regards.

–MR

3. Johan says:

Chrome 7.0.503.0 Windows 7

I followed another guide until I ran into the “Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008, Spin Error”. It lead me here and I wouldn’t have been able to fix my BSY problem without your help, many thanks.

4. MR.OMAR says:

Safari MacIntosh

Johan,
    I ran into that problem because I forgot to remove the paper that block the head and tighten the screw… as mentioned in entry..

Hope this helps.

best regards

5. Fero says:

Firefox 3.6.8 Windows XP

MR.OMAR,
    thank you, thank you, thank you very much! Without your help I would stick on “Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008” forever. I have tryed everythink – clean head and spin contacts, try different guides and nothink helped.
    Then I tryed your guide step by step and it worked. What I suggested? After the “Z” command I didn’t remove the piece of paper, but pressed the “U” command. And there appeared message:

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
    Spin Error
    Elapsed Time 27.191 secs
    R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

But what is the very important event: Spin was up. I have felt HDD vibrate. And then I removed the piece of paper and repeated the “U” command and I have got the right message:

Spin Up Complete
    Elapsed Time 1.927 secs

And I could continue with next steps…

Thank you very much!
    Fero

6. MR.OMAR says:

Firefox 3.6.11.NETCLR3.5.30729.NET4.0E Windows XP

Congratulation Fero. Glad to hear you have recovered your drive.

best regards

–MR

7. richard says:

MSIE 8.0 Windows XP

How did you get the DKU-5 cable to be installed as I’m having terrible problems?

8. MR.OMAR says:

Safari MacIntosh

Richard:
    I read the forums on how to use the DKU-5 Cable, especially on the color code of the wires.

9. Rogin says:

MSIE 8.0 Windows XP

did u installed any driver for the DKU-5 cable, if yes, where did u get it?

10. MR.OMAR says:

Chrome 9.0.597.45 MacIntosh

No, I didn’t installed any driver for the DKU-5…

11. Steve says:

MSIE 7.0 Windows XP

Quick question, When you start to use the terminal, when it ask where you want to connect to, what COM port did you choose. If you have multiple choices like(COM2, COM3, COM6), did you just try one than the other until you found the right one or will it communicate through any COM port you choose?

Thanks,

Steve

12. MR.OMAR says:

Chrome 9.0.597.45 MacIntosh

Steve,
    first, I checked what COM ports available on my computer, then when I connect the cable, I re-check the COM ports lists, the new COM port in the list after I connect the cable is the right COM port then.
    Good luck and all the best.

13. Rudolph says:

MSIE 8.0 Windows 7

Effing brilliant

Thanks to youself and all others who contributed to make
    possible the recovery of a once dud drive, and a nerve wracking couple of hours “few false starts”.

Thanks again
    Rudy

14. pSynrg says:

Chrome 10.0.648.119 Windows 7

Hi, I’d reached the same point as you, getting the “LED:000000CE FAddr:0027CF31” after issuing the spin-down command.

Without your simple advice to ‘wait a bit’ I don’t think I’d have got any further! Now the drive is fixed and I’ve recovered everything from it.

Cheers!

15. Mato34 says:

Firefox 4.0 Windows 7

Thanks a lot!!

Have this issue, and searching here and there I could fix my 7200.11!

Just for if it can help someone, another superb tutorial (in spanish) here: http://www.vagos.es/showthread.php?t=1017052

Thanks again!

16. Frans says:

MSIE 6.0 Windows XP

I followed the instructions, but after the N1 command I got the following message : “Unable to load Diag Overlay”. What could be wrong ? Thx

17. Ranga says:

MSIE 7.0 Windows XP

Hi Omar, I’m in the midst of fixing this problem with my HDD as well. I have managed to find all the necessary parts except for one. Where did you manage to get those square connectors from? I could not find it in Digital Mall.

18. MR.OMAR says:

Chrome 11.0.696.65 Windows XP

Hi,

I bought the square connector at electronic store at Jalan Pasar KL,. you should be able to find at any electronic stores near your place…

good luck

19. Ranga says:

MSIE 7.0 Windows XP

Hi again, Omar. I finally got everything in a SS2 electronic shop (located behind Pelita, if that helps any Malaysians out there.) I connected everything like you did – including the external power supply from an external SATA enclosure.

I have a problem where the CTRL+Z does not return a prompt for me in HyperTerminal. I triple-checked the RX/TX connections to the HDD making sure it connects RX(DKU-5)-TX(HDD) and TX(DKU-5)-RX(HDD). But I still cannot get a “F3 T>/” prompt from HyperTerminal. Any idea why this is?

Another question, are your Green & Red wires from the DKU-5 connected together? That is what I gather from your picture so I did that as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

20. Ranga says:

MSIE 7.0 Windows XP

Also, how do you do a loopback test using this DKU-5 cable?

21. MR.OMAR says:

Chrome 13.0.782.41 Windows XP

Ranga,

It’s been a year+, from the website that I got the information from, only 3 wires are in use, so the other two will not be use. and I do remember I skip the loopback test, just went straight to the procedure. you might want to refer to the other forum/site for a more detail explanation in your case.

Good luck

22. Tez says:

Chrome 12.0.742.122 Windows 7

I also do not get any response to pressing CTRL+Z. Have seen conflicting diagrams about which of the hdd pins are TX and RX so have tried swapping them over.

Loopback test was successful.

Ranga: Did you find a solution?

23. Ranga says:

MSIE 7.0 Windows XP

Hi Tez, I have not solved my HDD issue yet. I cannot seem to get a response from CTRL+Z for some reason. I have now started reading the MSFN thread from the start… I’m on Page 21 only now.

24. frodri says:

MSIE 8.0 Windows XP

Ha fumconado perfecto, he recuperado mi disco con las fotos de mi bebe. Un post perfecto, GRACIAS !!!!

25. starecovery says:

Firefox 5.0 Windows Vista

Useful guide! I just want to provide more useful info:

Sometimes swap pcb can solved hard drive failures(PCB errors).

I had a problem with my hard drive, I found this site hddzone.com

I?ve received the circuit board, and after the bios was replaced, it worked again, smoothly!!!! I?ve been able to recover all my files.

26. Sunny says:

Firefox 5.0 Windows XP

Thank you guys, it worked like a charm. I ordered DKU-5 Cable online. However the cable had only 3 wires. Used this site to detect which cable is what: http://buffalo.nas-central.org.....inkstation

Used multimeter continuity test to detect that.
    Used Motherboard’s small audio cables connectors and joined them with DKU cable.

Used Fixing BSY or CC errors aka BUSY part from the site: http://www.msfn.org/board/topi.....0011-hdds/

Really enjoyed it…. 🙂

27. Dave says:

Firefox 5.0.1 Windows 7

I have followed all the steps but I am still getting the error message like Fero was getting.

/Z
    Spin Down comfirmation
    /U
    DiagError 00006008
    Spin Error
    Elapsed Time 21.878 secs
    R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

I have tried leaving the card in like Fero did and then tried /U again. Still get the error.

Any suggestions?

Dave

28. Dave says:

Firefox 5.0.1 Windows 7

DiagError 00006008
    Spin Error
    Elapsed Time 21.878 secs
    R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

I have tried leaving the card in like Fero did and then tried U again. Still get the error.

Any suggestions?

Dave

29. Sunny says:

Firefox 5.0 Windows XP

@Dave,

After connecting to the terminal wait for few mins and make sure ur getting the message “LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0024A051” , it will indicate the drive is in “BUSY” state. Then follow the links I’ve provided. Try it from beginning.

30. Dave says:

Firefox 5.0.1 Windows 7

Thanks Sunny. Could you explain what you just said. At what point do I wait for the message “LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0024A051?? I’ve been following you steps above and I keep getting stuck at U enter after I have removed the business card.

31. Kazim ATES says:

MSIE 8.0 Windows XP

When I try to start this job it gives the error below after Z command. what is the problem at there?
    F3 T>
    F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

LED:000000CE FAddr:00280481
    LED:000000CE FAddr:00280481
    LED:000000CE FAddr:00280481
    LED:000000CE FAddr:00280481

and they don’t spin down the hdd.

32. WordPress 3.2.1 XML-RPC

[…] gibt es andere Anleitungen, bei denen man nicht so viel selbst basteln muss. Zum Beispiel die Nokia-Handy-Daten-Kabel-Lösung. Aber wer einen vollen Elekriker-Hobby-Keller hat oder irgentwie leichter na diese Bauteile, als an […]

33. Ibu says:

MSIE 8.0 Windows Vista

Can you please help me, my windows is unable to install any drivers for the cable, windows vista home edition 32bit.

your help is very appreciated

34. Ibu says:

MSIE 8.0 Windows Vista

Can you please help me, my windows is not recognizing the cable how do I install the drivers, I tried to search automatically but no luck.

your help is very appreciated

35. salim says:

Firefox 8.0.1 Windows XP

i want to buy this cable in THAILAND, please advice any supplier.

thanks

36. spin rewriter warrior forum says:

MSIE 8.0 Windows 7

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually realize what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally discuss with my site =). We may have a link alternate contract between us

37. salim says:

Firefox 7.0.1 Windows XP

hello to ALL

MODEL [ST_M13FQBL] (model no ok)
    CAPACITY 0MB

MODEL ST3500320AS (model ok.
    CAPACITY 0MB

i want to ask reparing method for both case is ???

via hyperterminal

please reply
    please reply
    please reply

38. salim says:

Firefox 7.0.1 Windows XP

MODEL : ST3750330NS
    CAPACITY : 0MB

visiting card inserted / motor contacts disable,

F3 T> ^A

F3 1>N1

Unable to load Diag Overlay

F3 1>/T

F3 T>i4,1,22

Unable to load Diag Overlay

F3 T>

need advice for terminal command,

thanks

39. Seagate says:

Chrome 17.0.963.56 Windows 7

Hi

is there an alternative to DKU-5 Cable i can’t find them here ?

does the nokia Dke-2 work.

Best Regards

40. Dave says:

Chrome 18.0.1025.142 Windows 7

Many thanks! This write up was a life saver. I now have all my data available again. I can’t thank you enough.
    -Dave

41. mahesh says:

Firefox 9.0.1 Windows 7

Dear Team ,

regarding need to cable of 1 tetra bite to connect laptop . i went every Retailer, Distributor but they don’t have cable of 1 tetra bite (Segate ) to connect laptop so i am facing many problem . please kindly help me.
    my contact no is 08446974239

42. salim says:

Firefox 4.0 Windows XP

PLEASE

if some one like to say few words about this command,
    what we can get done by this command

Level T ‘W’: Rev 0011.0000, Overlay, SaveAdaptivesToFlash, W[Seg],,22

can i read ROM (seagate) with the help of this command

will be very helpfull for me

thanks

43. Nick says:

Chrome 21.0.1180.83 Windows 7

Thanks for the instructions – they worked like a charm

For those that got the “Unable to load Diag Overlay” – I got that message as well. I tightened the 3 screws that were loosened – especially the middle one – that resolved the error (no shutdown of the drive was done)

44. Domenico says:

after 10 seconds I get this message

LED:000000CC FAddr:00249EF5
    LED:000000CC FAddr:00249EF5

Thanks and Regards

45. Javi says:

Firefox 12.0 Ubuntu;

Thank you very very much!, I got it!

46. jual bluray says:

Opera 12.01 Windows XP

Hi, this weekend is nice in support of me, because this moment i am reading this impressive educational piece of
    writing here at my home.

47. Iorgu says:

Firefox 20.0 Windows 7

Can I use Nokia CA-53 data cable instead of DKU-5?

48. cjrams says:

Firefox 21.0 Windows

I made all steps, all correct responses. Also I repeated twice, buy the drive have staring error, not sure if it’s the same, I don’t remember well.

49. DS says:

Chrome 28.0.1500.72 Windows XP

What you need is either a USB-TTL converter or a RS-232 to TTL
    converter. That is what the DKU-5 does. The hard-disk will only
    communicate via TTL signals.

The tricky thing with the DKU-5 is locating the correct wires to use as the Tx, Rx and Gnd. From the past posts, I have a strong
    feeling that it is a contributing factor to the issues faced.

If I may suggest, order a USB-TTL converter or if you still have
    a PC with a Serial port, order the RS-232 to TTL converter. That is less complicated as it has clearly indicated Tx, Rx and Gnd pins for you to use.

Hope this helps.